Save emails directly from Outlook into SharePoint using eFiler. Emails are stored as .msg files within SharePoint and can be searched for using eFilers fast and friendly search tool. Questions – Contact us now to find out more or get some help to start a trial today!
When you have eFiler not only can you save emails to SharePoint but you can search for emails saved in SharePoint. Take a look at the clip below to see how to file single or multiple emails to SharePoint. Find emails by filtering search results directly from Outlook.
Configure eFiler for SharePoint by following our step by step guide.
When running the installer it may tell you that you require a valid installation of Microsoft Office. This usually happens when the customer has installed the Outlook App from the Microsoft Store rather than installing the desktop version of Office. Installing the desktop versions of Office ensures you get the full functionality and are able to install eFiler. If you have the full versions installed you will find the shortcuts will point to a folder/sub folder in one of the follow paths –
C:\Program Files (x86) – where Office 32 bit is installed
C:\Program Files – where the 64 bit version of Office was installed
If you have recently bought a new computer which supports very high resolution displays you might find that many of your applications look strange, with scrunched up text and maybe even menu items missing or just with everything so tiny you can’t see what’s going on.
The solution is to create a custom profile for each affected app to allow for dialogs to be displayed at lower resolutions without having to drop the resolution for the whole system.
Both the Registry key and manifest file you need are available on request. Just double click the Registry key and copy the manifest file into the same folder as eFiler.exe and restart Outlook.
eFiler’s eRules feature uses and extends Outlook’s own Rules and Categories and there is a limit to the amount of space allocated for the storage of rules. The default for an Exchange or Office 365 account is now 64KB which equates to about 150 eRules depending on how complex the criteria are and how long the paths are to filing locations. Every byte counts.
However, it is relatively easy to increase this to 256KB which should be more than enough for anyone.
Here’s advice from Slipstick on how to do it:
Assuming you are using Office 365, Exchange 2013, 2010 or 2007.
To check the current setting, use the Get-Mailbox cmdlet:
Get-Mailbox username -RulesQuota
To increase the quota, use Set-Mailbox cmdlet
Set-Mailbox username -RulesQuota:256kb
Log into Office 365 using PowerShell
Enter the following commands in PowerShell to log into Office 365.
$LiveCred = Get-Credential
Enter the username and password. Note, you must have administrator rights to the server to use this.
Run this cmdlet after logging in:
$Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri //ps.outlook.com/powershell/ -Credential $LiveCred -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirection
After you are logged in and the session imported, you can use the cmdlets. In this case, you are ready to set the RulesQuota:
Set-Mailbox username -RulesQuota:256kb
We are happy to announce the release of eFiler 3.2!
New features include support for file paths longer than the default Windows maximum and back-compatibility with V2 Ref: text searches.
It’s worth emphasising the power of eFiler V3’s cloud filing and search capabilities.
Here is some of what eFiler V3 allows you to do:
- File emails out of Outlook into Google Drive
- File emails out of Outlook into DropBox
- File emails out of Outlook into OneDrive
- File emails out of Outlook using WebDAV into Box, DriveHQ, Sharepoint and ODB (OneDrive for Business)
- Search emails in all of these cloud storages and use them as if they are still in Outlook
- Copy or move filed emails between Google Drive, DropBox, OneDrive and WebDAV enabled storage such as Box, DriveHQ, Sharepoint and ODB (OneDrive for Business for Office365 users).
So, you could connect Outlook to a Gmail account and file your emails into your LAN, into Google Drive, DropBox, OneDrive, Box, DriveHQ or any other cloud storage accessible by eFiler. Or you can have an Office365, Exchange or hosted Exchange account and file and search emails in your preferred cloud storage.
And you can use eFiler’s Autosave feature to file a copy of all emails filed into your LAN file system into cloud storage for offsite backup for disaster recovery or in case you have a distributed workforce and you would rather use cloud storage than a VPN into your file system, for better security.
From eFiler v3 onwards it is possible to specify the serial number when installing eFiler to ensure that the machine is assigned to the correct licence.
To do this run the following command from a command prompt –
msiexec /i “c:tempefiler.msi” SNUM=SSAAMMGGYYII
The above example assumes you have copied the installer to c:temp and you enter a valid serial number.
We are pleased to announce the release of eFiler 3.1 which is a major upgrade to eFiler and includes (but is not limited to) the following new features –
Support for Outlook 2016
File and search emails on Google Drive, Dropbox and One Drive
Based on .net 4.5.2
A faster more responsive search tool
Additional search filter for Conversations
Improved search result highlighting
AND / OR quick filter option to quickly refine search results
Additional policy options, to reset merge and deploy locations and settings
Specify the number of labels you wish to assign to locations
On screen filing progress and notification indicator
Additional filename template options (build your own template manager)
Download eFiler to file and find your emails.
Detailed list of changes –
Installing and launching:
- New installation options including inclusion of licence serial number in command line to license machines while installing by group policy.
- Button in change licence ID to return a machine’s licence when the machine is to be replaced.
- Much faster launching of Outlook
Support for new technology:
- Support for very high resolution displays
- Migration to .NET 4.5.2 to make code compact and faster
- Support for Outlook 2016
- Programmatic connection to Google Drive, OneDrive and Dropbox for cloud storage and search even without sync client installed.
- Option to connect to private cloud storages via WebDAV.
- Much faster to open filing and search dialogs, particularly when the user has a large number of filing locations.
- New storage wizard allows for cloud and file system storages and folder locations to be stored as convenient starting places for adding new locations.
- Location manager “Add location” opens at selected location
- New feature to file into a subfolder without having to add it to your list
- Automatic creation of labels when adding a filing location.
- Option to choose how many labels are added when a location is added.
- Ability to select many locations to share or remove them and to remove unwanted labels in one operation.
- Faster writing of multiple locations selected by right-click in Windows Explorer.
- Resizable Location Manager dialog
- Search window resizable and persistent between sessions
- New Ref: text column in search
- New AND/OR button in search to toggle between wide and narrow searches
- New attachment filter in search
- New conversation filter in search – find a conversation involving any number of people or domains.
- Much faster search indexing and display of results.
- New Index update button.
- Clearer rendering of text in the search results
- New add location button in search – no need to open the search location manager to add locations.
- Admin settings menu to enable configurations to be set, locked and uploaded without using Policy Manager
- Edit, upload and replace or merge policy filing locations without using Policy Manager
- Autosave feature for dispute resolution or offsite backup for disaster recovery
- New filename template manager for drag and drop template creation including punctuation and yy as well as yyyy
- New third party in filename to add sender of received email or first named recipient of sent email
- New sender’s initials option for filename
- New purge shared locations option in Policy Manager
- New cloud sync folder naming to concatenate labels instead of using only last label
- Integrated cloud sync and drop panel template manager
- New method for displaying filing progress and confirmation which is less intrusive
- Improved deduplication algorithms
- Improved general stability